Address Bar in Active Tab

Aerelonian

Apr 12, 2010, 3:31:43 PM4/12/10
to mozilla-labs-testpilot
I don't know what other people's opinions of this are, but I would
love to see the address bar shown in active tab space.

Basically the address bar would be missing from the main bar (or the
tab bar could replace it). The tabs would look normal and you could
click on them to change between open pages. However if you clicked on
the active tab in the bar it would flip to an address bar so you could
type things in.

It just seems a little redundant to me to show the active tab name/
icon and then pretty much show it again in the address bar. Generally
no one cares about the address after they've gotten there any way and
they use the page title to navigate between tabs. An address bar
would show in all new tabs in the tab bar by default so new users
could find it (with a little message explaining you just have to click
on the active tab to bring it up again) and you could just type in the
address. Any thoughts? Or is anything unclear? I couldn't find an
add-on similar so if it exists just let me know. :)

jinghua zhang

Apr 20, 2010, 7:56:22 PM4/20/10
to mozilla-lab...@googlegroups.com
Hi Aerelonian,

It is an interesting idea, and we are actually considering to design a study to understand how people use tabs and the address bar.  But if you can sketch out your idea a bit,  it will help me to understand how that works, and we may be able to plan some instrumentation related to your idea into the study.

Thanks! :)
Jinghua

Aerelonian

Apr 21, 2010, 6:59:59 PM4/21/10
to mozilla-labs-testpilot
I've made a quick mock-up. It doesn't look too good but I'm in the
middle of final exams so I had to be quick. The tabs should be the
same height as the forward/back buttons (maybe two line tab titles for
full sized buttons but one for small button size). It also needs to
flow better into the address bar (the active tab and bar should look
like one continuous element instead of in mine how it looks like a
drop down after thought). Overall it's really simple and I think
makes more sense for saving screen space, especially with the
popularity of netbooks.

Normal:
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_cr7MUXTKaww/S8-B19J_raI/AAAAAAAABJE/d0TX1r9D7o0/s800/Tab-Concept.jpg

Click Active Tab With Mouse (which currently does nothing):
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_cr7MUXTKaww/S8-B2Ob9faI/AAAAAAAABJI/GIkKSJ8GlLo/s800/Tab-Concept-Click.jpg

If people are fine with a short address bar, the same thing could
happen but instead of below the tab, it would be in it and replace the
current tab title. Or maybe the active tab could stretch wider and
the inactive tabs shrink for some fun visual effect. It would go back
to normal after clicking anywhere else on the screen or hitting
enter. Thanks for getting back to me! If there is interest I can
make some better concept images for a few different variants.
> > mozilla-labs-test...@googlegroups.com<mozilla-labs-testpilot%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>
> > .
> > For more options, visit this group at
> >http://groups.google.com/group/mozilla-labs-testpilot?hl=en.

Aerelonian

Apr 25, 2010, 7:45:00 PM4/25/10
to mozilla-labs-testpilot
So I've posted some suggestions to the alpha addon on the firefox
addon site ( https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/154158 ).
I've also thought of some other things after using it for today. I
didn't mean to imply the implementation was simple, just the
concept. ;) I've taken a programing course and done a lot on Ubuntu
so I understand that sometimes your eyes start to bleed with
frustration. I'll also add the things here I mentioned in my addon
review. I'm on Windows 7 x64.

(1) When the address bar pops up it shows the last typed address not
the current location. Work around: I've been right clicking for page
properties to find the address if I want to share a link.

(2) When you click on the tab, it would be great if the address was
selected, ready to type as opposed to having to click the tab and then
in the address bar. This is probably linked to the list having to be
visible for typing to work (but really have no idea).

(3) It would be great if the pop-up address bar would disappear after
clicking something from the address bar dropdown or hitting enter with
a typed address. I've just been clicking outside anywhere in the
empty space of a web page. Otherwise it stays up. Some people may
like this (option?)

(4) There may be an issue for some people that choose to hide the tab
bar when only one tab is open. There is no way to type in an
address. I just ctrl+t to open another tab so the bar pops up.

(5) If a user has disabled the awesome bar and matching results, then
relevant options won't pop up and the typing glitch prevents all
typing in the box. As you know the awesome bar is not disabled by
default so most users won't have this problem.

(6) The address bar pops up when clicking 'x' to close. The tab
closes no problem and the bar disappears so this is only cosmetic.

(7) Either the top or bottom of the bar is a bit cut off (it's
centered in the popup box but the padding or something may be too
high, and leaves less space than the height of the address bar).

If anything is unclear just let me know! Thanks for taking a look. I
think this could be a really useful addon.